Ever wonder what the pros and cons are between building on your lot or building in a community? Here, we’ve covered the top reasons to build on your lot – as well as how to navigate the process.
Why On Your Lot?
We proudly offer an On Your Lot program here at McGuinn, but we also build in great communities around West Columbia. So why do we believe offering an on your lot option is important?
- It removes limits. When you choose your own lot, you aren’t limited to just what we have available or in the communities we’ve chosen. Been dreaming of a piece of land for years? Buy it! Then let us build your dream home right where you want it. Have your home, your way.
- It can save you money. By choosing your own lot, you’re also able to pick the perfect price since you’ll be bringing your lot to us. We’ll also customize your price based on the lot – different pieces of land have different build requirements, which will be taken into consideration.
- It gives you options. We like to think of ourselves as your dream home builder – not just an on your lot builder. We’ll help find the perfect home for your lot, instead of limiting you to choices only available in specific communities.
We believe in providing you, the homeowner, with the right mix of quality and style at an amazing price point. Whether you build in a community or on your own land, you’ll receive an interactive building experience and a dream home you can’t wait to show off.
What Do I Get With an On Your Lot Home?
The answer is simple – you get all the amazing features included in a McGuinn home built in a community! Here are just a few of the items you can expect from one of our homes:
- It’s designed with the environment in mind, including all the energy efficient features you need and leaving out ones that add no benefit to you
- Significant savings on utility costs
- Unparalleled customer service
- Superior selections in our Design Center
- Innovative home designs to choose from
- Competitive pricing
- And more!
What’s the Process?
Involve us in your journey as early as possible! We want to be there for you every step of the way to guide you to your new home. If you’ve just purchased a lot, or if you’re only beginning to consider purchasing one, set up a consultation meeting to talk through your questions with us.
In that meeting, we’ll get your questions answered as well as get a better idea on how we’ll make your dream home come to life. Once you have your home site, we’ll physically visit the site to assess it and figure out the best building options. That way, we’ll be able to walk you through choosing the best floorplan design and get you a price estimate.
After we’ve gotten all the needed information and provided an estimate, we’ll start getting things finalized. By this point, we’ll have the final price of your home settled. You’ll also have the final plan for your home and have made all your selections in our Design Center. We’re getting ready to sign the contract! We’ll also start discussing financing at this point – keep your eyes out for an upcoming blog post with even more details on that part of the process.
But wait – did you think of something else needing to be tweaked in your plan? No problem! Our Pre-Construction Meeting gives us the opportunity to make plan revisions before we obtain building permits. Once we have this meeting, we’ll “build your home on paper” to eliminate any errors. It’s an extra step, but we go above and beyond to make sure you get a better home and a better home buying experience.
And then we start building! Here are just a few key highlights from the building process:
- Foundation and framing go in and your new home begins to take shape.
- System rough-ins are set before drywall goes in – this includes things like plumbing, the heating and cooling systems, wiring, and more.
- Your personal style begins to come to life as we paint the inside, add trims, and add the exterior finish to your home.
- We all know the difference is in the details, and here’s where they come out to play. Remember all those items you chose in the Design Center? Here’s where we begin installing them! Everything from cabinets to door hardware goes in at this point.
- Let there be light! With everything in place, we turn it all on. This includes your heating and cooling, lights, gas, and more.
Once the home is built, we don’t stop there. Each McGuinn home goes through a grueling inspection process to make sure it meets our extremely high standards and delivers our Gold Seal Promise:
- A Quality inspection by a McGinn inspector
- A Quality inspection by you, the homeowner
- Complete verification the home is ready
Once we’ve given your new home the seal approval, we’re ready to close on the home. And just like that, you’ve built a home on your own lot with McGuinn Hybrid Homes!